Savory Stuffed French Bread Sandwiches
Author: Christopher Kosovich
- 1 loaf french bread
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small white onion finely chopped, at least 2 Tbsp. but you can add more if you like
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ Tbsp. chopped parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Slice the french bread in half, lengthwise, so you have two equal pieces.
- Scoop out the bread in the center of each piece. Place bread in a large bowl and tear into small chunks.
- Set the two halves of french bread onto a large baking sheet, set aside.
- Brown the ground beef and onion in a large skillet, over medium-high heat.
- Drain any grease.
- Add the celery and onion to skillet.
- Cook a few minutes until celery is tender.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add soup, milk and Worcestershire sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir and cook mixture until heated; another 5 minutes or so.
- Add the beef mixture to the bread in the large bowl, Stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into the center of one half of the french bread and spread out evenly.
- Top the mixture with the shredded cheese.
- Top with the other half of bread.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before slicing and serving.