Beef Barley Soup
Author: Christopher Kosovich
- 1 tsp oil
- 1-1/2 lbs lean beef round stew meat
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped onions
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 cups water
- 1 - 2 tsp kosher salt, to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- ⅔ cup dry barley
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Heat a large heavy pot or dutch oven on medium heat. Add oil and beef, season with a little salt and brown meat a few minutes.
- When meat is browned, add carrots, onion, celery and garlic to the pot and give it a good stir.
- Add water, salt and bay leaves and bring to a boil.
- When boiling, reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer covered over low heat until the meat is soft, about 1½ - 2 hours.
- Add the barley, adjust the salt if needed and add fresh ground pepper.
- Simmer an additional 30-35, remove bay leaves and serve.
- Makes 7½ cups.