Stuffed Pepper Soup
Author: Christopher Kosovich
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 lb 95% lean ground beef
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1¾ cups tomato sauce
- 2 cups reduced sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- ½ tsp dried marjoram
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- In a large pot or dutch oven, brown ground meat on high heat and season with salt, drain fat if any.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, then add peppers, onions and garlic. Cook about 5 minutes on low heat.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, marjoram and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.
- In a separate pot, cook rice according to directions.
- Serve about 1½ cups of soup in each bowl and top with ½ cup cooked brown rice.
- Makes about 9½ cups.