Chicken, Shiitake, and Wild Rice Soup
Author: Christopher Kosovich
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion
- 1 tbsp flour
- 6 cups less-sodium chicken broth (Swanson)
- 3 cups water
- ⅔ cup chopped carrots
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 celery stalks
- 14 oz boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 4.5 oz long grain rice & wild rice combo (I used Carolina)
- ½ cup brown rice
- 4 oz shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp light sour cream
- salt and fresh pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in a large pot on medium heat, add onion and saute until soft nut not browned, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add flour and saute another minute.
- Add chicken broth, water, carrots, garlic, celery, brown rice and chicken thighs, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add wild rice mix along with it's seasoning packet, long grain rice and mushrooms and simmer on low, covered 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove chicken from pot and shred with two forks, return to pot, add sour cream and more water if too thick, adjust salt and pepper to taste if needed.
- Makes about 12 cups.