A delicious salad that just reminds me of the flavors of summer. For some reason makes me think of summertime festivals and county fairs. A new favorite from my favorite BA magazine.
Charred Red Onion and Cucumber Salad
Author: Christopher Kosovich
- 1 Fresno chile, thinly sliced into rings, seeded if desired
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar, divided
- 2 medium red onions, sliced into ¼-inch rounds
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided, plus more for serving
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium English hothouse cucumber, sliced into rounds
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- Prepare grill for medium-high heat.
- Combine chile and 2 Tbsp. vinegar in a small bowl; set aside.
- Place onions on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with 2 Tbsp. oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Turn to coat. Grill onions directly on grate until lightly charred and softened, about 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a large bowl and toss with remaining 2 Tbsp. vinegar; let cool.
- Coarsely chop ½ cup grilled onion and return to bowl. Add chile and soaking liquid, cucumber, dried oregano, and 2 Tbsp. oil and toss to combine; season with salt and pepper.
- Serve drizzled with more oil.