Glazed Meat Loaf
Inspired by my favorite test kitchen, this recipe has some slight variations, but quite similar.
Author: Christopher Kosovich
- Meat Loaf Ingredients
- 3 oz Monterey Jack cheese, grated on the small holes of a box grater (about 1 cup)
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium celery rib, chopped fine (about ½ cup)
- 2 medium garlic clove, minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 1 teaspoon)
- 2 tsp minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ cup tomato juice (may substitute V8 juice)
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tsp unflavored powdered gelatin
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ⅔ cup crushed saltines
- 2 tbsp minced fresh parsley leaves
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 pound ground chuck
- Glaze Ingredients
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 tsp hot pepper sauce
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- For the meat loaf: Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 375 degrees. Spread the cheese on a plate and place in the freezer until ready to use. To prepare the baking sheet, set a metal cooling rack over a rimmed baking sheet. Fold a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil to form a 12 by 8-inch rectangle. Center the foil on the cooling rack and poke holes in the foil with a skewer (about half an inch apart). Spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat the butter in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until foaming; add the onion and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic, thyme, and paprika and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Reduce the heat to low and add the tomato juice. Cook, stirring to scrape up the browned bits from the pan, until thickened, about 1 minute. Transfer the mixture to a small bowl and set aside to cool.
- Whisk the broth and eggs in a large bowl until combined. Sprinkle the gelatin over the liquid and let stand 5 minutes. Stir in the soy sauce, mustard, saltines, parsley, salt, pepper, and onion mixture. Crumble the frozen cheese into a coarse powder and sprinkle over the mixture. Add the ground beef; mix gently with your hands until thoroughly combined, about 1 minute. Transfer the meat to the foil rectangle and shape into a 10 by 6-inch oval about 2 inches high. Smooth the top and edges of the meat loaf with a moistened spatula. Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the loaf reads 135 to 140 degrees, 55 to 65 minutes. Remove the meat loaf from the oven and turn on the broiler.
- For the glaze: While the meat loaf cooks, combine the ingredients for the glaze in a small saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook, stirring, until thick and syrupy, about 5 minutes. Spread half of the glaze evenly over the cooked meat loaf with a rubber spatula; place under the broiler and cook until the glaze bubbles and begins to brown at the edges, about 5 minutes. Remove the meat loaf from the oven and spread evenly with the remaining glaze; place back under the broiler and cook until the glaze is again bubbling and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes more. Let the meat loaf cool about 20 minutes before slicing.