Jalapeno Monterey Jack Grits
Author: Christopher Kosovich
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch strips (about 1½ cups)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1-inch strips (about 1½ cups)
- 1 tbsp minced seeded jalapeño chili
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1½ cups grated hot pepper Monterey Jack cheese (about 6 ounces)
- Melt butter in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add both peppers, jalapeño, and garlic; sauté until peppers are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Bring stock and cream to boil in heavy large saucepan.
- Add grits in thin stream, whisking constantly.
- Whisk until grits are cooked and mixture thickens, about 6 minutes.
- Add sautéed pepper mixture and cheese; stir until cheese melts.
- Season with salt and pepper.