This is a great appetizer option with an Mediterranean or Italian theme. This recipe was inspired by a Food Network recipe but I had to add some cheese to the mix.
Antipasto Sausage Skewers
Author: Christopher Kosovich
- Cooking spray
- 12 oz fully cooked Italian-style poultry sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup lightly packed fresh basil
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese cut into thin small bit size pieces, about the diameter of the sausage
- 1 12-oz jar roasted red peppers, drained, rinsed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ⅔ cup sun-dried tomatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces if large
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat; mist with cooking spray.
- Add the sausage; cook, turning 2 or 3 times, until warmed through and browned, about 8 minutes.
- Thread 1 small or ½ large basil leaf onto a small wooden skewer.
- Add a piece of roasted red pepper, sun-dried tomato, mozzarella slice, artichoke, and sausage, arranging them on the skewer so that it can stand up on the sausage end.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make about two-dozen skewers.