Cantaloupe and Black Pepper Granita
This is adapted from BA August 2014.
Author: Christopher Kosovich
- 2 lb. cantaloupe, rind and seeds removed, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup Moscato or other sweet dessert wine (Muscat de Beaumes de Venise)
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper, plus coarsely ground for serving.
- Puree cantaloupe, sugar, Moscato, and ¼ tsp. pepper in a food processor until smooth.
- Transfer to a shallow baking dish and freeze mixture until edges begin to set, about 30 minutes.
- Using a fork, scrape mixture to break up frozen portions. Freeze, scraping and breaking up every 20-30 minutes until mixture resembles fluffy shaved ice, about 2-4 hours.
- Serve granita topped with coarsely ground black pepper.
Granita can be made up to 3 days ahead. Cover with plastic wrap and keep frozen. Scrape before serving.