Italian Beef Stew in Slowcooker
Adapted from Better Homes & Garden.
Author: Christopher Kosovich
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil, divided
- 2 lb beef round roast
- 1 large onion, sliced into thin wedges
- 2 large carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces (split in half if they
- 8 oz red potatoes, skin-on, quartered
- 1 14.5 oz can reduced-fat/sodium chicken broth
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 4 clove garlic, minced
- 1 sprig rosemary (or 1 tsp dried)
- 2 sprigs each thyme, and oregano (or ½-1 tsp each dried)
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 cup basil leaves, chopped
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large pan over high heat until very hot.
- Cut roast into 2-inch chunks and season with salt and pepper.
- Add half of the meat to the pan, searing for 1-2 minutes, until nicely browned, before flipping or stirring.
- Sear for another 2 minutes and use a slotted spoon to transfer meat to the crock.
- Repeat for remaining meat.
- Add onion, potatoes, carrots to the crock pot.
- Add the chicken broth, wine, and tomato paste (I dropped it in by the spoonful and let it distribute while cooking).
- Top with garlic and herbs.
- Cook on low for ~8 hours.
- At the end of the cooking time, remove ¼ cup cooking liquid and whisk in cornstarch until smooth.
- Stir slurry into the crockpot, cover, and let cook for ~20 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and basil and serve.