Chicken a la Criolla in Slowcooker
Adapted from the SkinnyTaste wbsite.
Author: Christopher Kosovich
- 10 (2 lbs) skinless boneless chicken thighs, fat trimmed
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bell pepper, chopped or sliced
- 4 plum tomatoes
- 2 tbsp alcaparrado or pitted spanish olives
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- ¼ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp cumin
- salt to taste
- 1-2 bay leaf
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro (plus 2 tbsp more for serving)
- Place chicken, onion, garlic, pepper and tomatoes in the crock pot.
- Season with salt, cumin and oregano. Mix well so everything is seasoned.
- Add tomato sauce, alcaparrado (or olives) along with 1 tbsp of the brine, ½ cup water, bay leaf and cilantro.
- Mix well and set crock pot to HIGH 4 hours or LOW for 6 hours.
- When done, taste for salt and seasoning and adjust spices as needed.
- Add 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro and serve over rice.