Beef Stew in slowcooker
Author: Christopher Kosovich
- 1.25 lbs stewing beef, trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 (15 oz) can no salt added diced tomatoes
- 1 yellow onion, chopped into large pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 10 small potatoes (~1.5 lbs), halved
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add beef to skillet and brown the meat, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add tomatoes to the slow cooker.
- Add the onions, garlic, celery, carrots and potatoes.
- Sprinkle the Italian seasoning over the vegetables and then add the beef and any accumulated drippings.
- Pour beef broth over the beef and vegetables.
- Add the bay leaves.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- About 20 minutes before serving, add the peas, salt and pepper.
- Remove the bay leaves before serving.
- Yields 6 servings (about 1½ heaping cups each)