This has a perfect balance of flavors that have such a connection to foods, people, and experiences I recall growing up. With a focus on vinegar and the natural properties of the potatoes connecting all the elements of this recipe, it is a great alternative to those heavy, creamy traditional potato salads that seem to be most common.
Serbian-style Potato Salad
Author: Christopher Kosovich
- 4 large potatoes
- 1 large yellow onion
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ⅛ cup white vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- Peel the potatoes and slice thinly with a mandoline, or chop into small cube sizes if you prefer a different texture.
- Boil potatoes until cooked, about 15 minutes.
- Slice onion very thinly.
- Combine vinegar, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix thoroughly to make a dressing.
- Drain the potatoes and toss with onion in a bowl with the dressing.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours.
- Check seasonings, adding more salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve at room temperature.