I am not sure the exact origination of this recipe, but my grandpa and grandma had this note written down from grandma’s brother Steve. I have often used smaller roasts and divided the other ingredients accordingly.
Uncle Steve's Italian Beef Sandwiches
Author: Christopher Kosovich
- 6 lb beef roast (rump roast) sliced thinly
- 3 pkg Au Jus prepared mix
- 9 cups cold water
- 2 tbsp italian seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large green bell pepper, sliced
- Hot pepper rings, if desired
- 8 split rolls
- Bring Au Jus prepared mix, italian seasoning, and water to a boil.
- Add thinly sliced meat, once piece at a time so pieces don't stick together.
- Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add slices of the green bell pepper about 15-20 minutes before the meat is done simmering.
- Serve with hot peppers rings on split rolls.