Author: Christopher Kosovich
- 1 (.25 oz) package active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tsp salt
- 4½ cups bread flour
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand about 10 minutes, until frothy.
- Stir in sugar, milk, egg, salt, and enough flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead for 8 to 10 minutes on a lightly floured surface, or until smooth.
- Place dough in a well oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and let rise for 1 hour, or until the dough has doubled in volume.
- Punch down dough and knead in garlic.
- Pinch off small handfuls of dough, about the size of a golf ball.
- Roll into balls, and place on a tray.
- Cover with a towel, and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- During the second rising, preheat grill to high heat.
- At grill side, roll balls of dough into thin circles, enough based upon size of grill space.
- Lightly oil grill.
- Place dough on grill, and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until puffy and lightly browned.
- Brush uncooked side with butter, and turn over.
- Brush cooked side with butter, and cook until lightly browned, another 2 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from grill, and continue the process until all the naan has been prepared.
- Stack finished naan on top of one another wrapped in a large clean towel to keep warm.