Inspired by my favorite test kitchen, but modified to use olive oil.
Author: Christopher Kosovich
Serves: 2 servings
- 2 (approximately 7 to 9-ounce) russet potatoes, unpeeled, each lightly pricked with fork in 6 places
- ½ cup water
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Dissolve 2 tablespoons salt in ½ cup cold water in medium bowl.
- Place potatoes in bowl and toss in the salt water solution so the outside of potatoes are evenly moistened.
- Transfer potatoes to wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake until center of largest potato registers 205 degrees, approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove potatoes from oven and brush tops and sides with olive oil. Return potatoes to oven and continue to bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from oven and open up the potatoes immediately so steam can escape by using paring knife making 2 slits, forming X, in each potato.
- Using clean dish towel, hold ends and squeeze inward toward the center slightly to push flesh up and out.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.